#1: PRICE ACTION FOR BEGINNERS
Just getting started?
From the definition of price action to the essential price patterns, you can find all you need to kick-start your price action trading education.
WHAT IS PRICE ACTION?
- Price Action Trading Primer – What is price action?
- Why New Traders Should Start with Price Action – Start your learning journey right and save time.
- 5 Steps to Becoming a Price Action Trader – A step-by-step guide for the confused beginner.
READING PRICE ACTION
- Beginner’s Guide to Learning Price Action – A guide to reading price action bar-by-bar.
- 10 Bar Patterns You Must Know – 10 bar patterns like the inside bar to master.
- 10 Candlestick Patterns You Must Know – 10 candlestick patterns to light the way.
- 10 Chart Patterns for Price Action Trading – Classical chart patterns with trading rules.
- Trading with Support/Resistance – A primer on drawing and trading with support/resistance areas.
- Price Action Trading Strategies (Beyond Price Patterns) – A guide to the components of a holistic price action trading strategy.
#2: PRICE ACTION TRADING TOOLS
Already grasped the basics?
Move on to learning price action based tools – trend bars, trend lines, channels, swing pivots, congestion, price-only chart types and more.
- Price Action Trader’s Toolbox – 5 essential skills for price action trading.
- Trend Bar: A Simple Way to Look at Price Action – An intuitive concept for reading price.
- Swing Trading with Trend Lines – A price action trader’s best friend.
- 4 Ways to Trade a Channel – A versatile price action trading tool.
- A Plain and Simple Trend Line Channel Trading Strategy – A straightforward strategy with trading examples.
- Find Intraday Trends with Price Action – 4 methods to determine the market bias for day trading.
- 3 Practical Uses of Price Congestion – Use the sideways market to trade better.
- 10 Price Chart Types for Trading – From the common candlestick to the exotic Kagi lines.
- Bar-by-Bar Analysis of 3 Charts – A demonstration of close price analysis.
#3: PRICE ACTION TRADING CONCEPTS
If you are comfortable with the technical aspects, perhaps what you need are some perspectives and tips to propel your performance.
- 10 Commandments of Price Action Trading – Ground rules for price action traders
- A 5-Point Plan for Price Action Traders – Core guiding principles for a minimalist trader.
- 7 Price Action Trading Myths Debunked – Price action trading is not the Holy Grail.
- 8 Practical Ways to Improve Your Price Action Trading Skills – Take concrete steps to trade better.
- Price Action Re-Entry – A simple concept to find higher probability trades.
- Intraday Price Action Trading Techniques – 3 ways to stay out of trouble.
- 4 Practical Day Trading Tips for Price Action Traders – Make full use of your price observations.
TAKING A STEP BACK
- How to Enter the Market as a Price Action Trader – The implications of using stop orders and limit orders.
- Keeping Records of Discretionary Price Action Trading – Tips for keeping solid trade records.
- What is the Best Time Frame for Price Action Trading? – A popular question with no simple answer.
#4: PRICE ACTION TRADING STRATEGIES
Ready for trading strategies? Here you go.
- Trend Bar Failure – A simple and versatile price pattern from my Day Trading with Price Action Course.
- Inside Bar for Day Trading Futures – The classic low-risk bar pattern in the right context.
- Inside Day/NR4 (ID/NR4) – A low-risk volatility price pattern from Toby Crabel’s “Day Trading with Short Term Price Patterns and Opening Range Breakout”.
- NR7 Trading Strategy – A popular and simple low-volatility price pattern.
- Pinocchio Bar Trade Setup (Pin Bar) – A classic fake-out bar pattern that traps traders out of a market reversal.
- Yum-Yum Continuation Pattern – A reliable continuation pattern that uses the nifty concept of bar range expansion.
- Popgun Bar Pattern – A pattern for finding impulse Elliot waves.
- Swing Trading with Outside Bar – Using outside bar failures to trigger a trade.
- Three-Bar Inside Bar Pattern – An adaptation of an inside bar to add context and confirmation.
- Three-Bar Reversal Pattern for Day Trading – Modifying the three-bar reversal pattern for lower frequency, but higher probability trading.
- Trading Consecutive Up/Down Bars – An clear price pattern that causes traders’ euphoria (or not).
- Retrace Day Trading Setup – A day trading strategy from Thomas Bulkowski (author of Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns and Encyclopedia of Candlestick Charts).
- Hikkake Trade Setup – A twist on the inside bar to ensnare other traders.
- Engulfing Candlestick with Market Structure – A popular candlestick pattern trading strategy.
- Mountains, Rivers, Crows, and Soldiers – A candlestick strategy that uses chart patterns for trading reversals.
- Candlestick with Pivot Points – An intraday trading method using floor pivots.
- Candlesticks with a Moving Average – A solid combination of candlestick patterns with moving averages.
- Trading Candlesticks with RSI – A trading technique from Steve Nison’s “Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques”.
- Catching Trends with Heiken-Ashi – A unique type of candlesticks for tracking trends.
PRICE WITH VOLUME
- Anchor Zones – A powerful method that combines range, gap, and volume to find key support/resistance.
- On-Balance Volume Trading Strategy for Fading Dumb Money – An intuitive volume indicator to clarify price movement.
- Capture High Profits with Low Volume Pullbacks – A simple observation of price and volume.
- Finding Support and Resistance with Volume Clues – Use high volume signals to find reliable price pivots.
- Exhaustion Gap Trading Strategy for Reversals – A gap trading technique for swing traders.
- Trading Continuations with Runaway Gaps – Another useful gap to observe.
PRICE ACTION WITH MINIMAL INDICATORS
- John Hill’s Trend Line Theory – A unique trend line strategy for trading pullbacks.
- Jjrvat’s Price Based Trading – A reliable scalping strategy that uses a moving average to highlight price waves.
- Two-legged Pullback to the Moving Average (M2B, M2S) – A setup from Al Brooks who suggested this as one of the best for beginners.
- Intraday Trend Trading with Price Action – A strategy for lovers of Keltner Channels.
- Improved Three-Bar Pullback Pattern – A better pullback with the triple-smoothed EMA (TRIX).
- Andrew’s Pitchfork Trading Strategy – Not an indicator per se, but we love trend lines.
- 50% Retracement Swing Trading Setup – A reliable benchmark for a solid pullback trade.
#5: MORE RESOURCES FOR PICKING UP PRICE ACTION
Need more help?
- Top 10 Price Action Trading Books – Best books of the topic.
- 10 Resources for Learning Price Action Trading – Free articles/forum posts from all over the Internet.
- Day Trading with Price Action Course – Galen Wood’s complete trading framework.
This page is regularly updated with more tutorials/tips/strategies. So bookmark it, and share it with your friends!